Thursday 20 September 2012

The Penang Food Hunter

BIG BIG apology for not been updating my blog for long! For yours truly had suit up and got a new life (a job).

It was a fantastic start to this new life when I was 'shipped' to the world infamously dubbed 'Pearl of the Orient', for my first assignment. Instantly, I knew I gonna be very fat, very soon...

Hence, my Penang food hunting days, begin!

1. Lee Chee Kang & Claypot Chicken Rice
It was never like the famous Penang laksa and the cooling Teow Chew  Cendol combo at Jalan Penang. But what I stumble upon during my after work hunger pangs, was a rather interesting combo- Hot steamy claypot chicken rice and cooling Lee Chee Kang (a mix of peanuts, kidney bean, jelly, white fungus, and other ingredients in a sweet cooling broth).


The rice was cooked upon order. One big scoop into the center of the pot, I released the pleasant tingling ginger and soy sauce fragrance. Exposed then was abundant chunky chicken and juicy mushroom. Aside from that tongue burning sensation, you can find tiny chunks of salted fish hidden within the rice, adding a real tinge to the already sinful flavour. Dunk into the egg- 80% cooked- to add a layer of awesomeness into the rice! And to cool down all the heat, I gulped down the freshly sweet and cool Lee Chee Kang. 

Awesome find @ Taman Chai Leng food street, Lebuh Kurau 5, Taman Chai Leng, Perai.
Open at random days after 6 pm. Good luck!

2. Egg crusted chicken floss and BBQ meat sandwich.

I was given the 'Its normal laaaaaaaaa' respond when I describe to my friends how god dammit delicious this was. One piece of BBQ meat and chicken floss stuck between lightly pan-fried egg crusted soft breads, and glued up well with honey.


One bite into the cloud like soft bread with a crispy egg exterior, you flew up to the clouds. A deeper bite into the juicy meat and flavour packed floss, you just hit the stratosphere. One final bite released all the sweetness them honey can offer, you'll reach heaven and scream out loud: OHHH MY GOD!!!!
It was not normal people! Not at all!


I got my piece of OHHH MY GOD @ Taman Chai Leng food street, Lebuh Kurau 5, Taman Chai Leng, Perai.
Open on weekdays after 6pm till stock last, closed on Saturday and Sunday.

3. Nasi Kandar

No Penang food hunting will be completed without taking your taste bud to a roller coaster ride with some Penang Nasi Kandar. I was not a fan of rice being flooded with spicy curry but to see how big-a-thing is Nasi Kandar to Penang, I ought to try once.

My first Nasi Kandar experience was not a planned one. The first weekend of my first week in Penang, I got lost trying to get out of Georgetown and got myself into Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling. And there it was, a Q stretching 40 strong- towards a small restaurant beside Masjid Kapitan Keling. My instinct allowed myself to quickly park my car nearby, and joined the line- without knowing what I am lining up for. Only as my friend walk to the front and found out, it was a line for Nasi Kandar! Yayyyy! Humorously, the name of the restaurant was Restaurant Nasi Kandar Beratur, meaning Line-up Nasi Kandar restaurant. The owner must be very confident of his own produce!


I am still honestly confuse of how I was to order this mysterious Nasi Kandar. One told me that it was so addictive that once you tried it, you'll keep going for more. Hmmm. I was recommended by a good fellow to put chicken, some cabbage, and squid if you opt to pay more on my nasi. And for the curry, mix them all up. I heeded his advice and apply them after a long 45 minutes wait. After securing a place, there it was in front of me, my first plate of Nasi Kandar, for a rather expensive RM 10.50.


It looks messy and very spicy (for my low spicy tolerance standard), but it sure smells good! The aroma of all the spices within the curry really awaken the already sleepy me at 1 am. The special thing about Nasi Kandar was the curry mixture- chicken, kurma, fish, lamb and beef. To add the the fun of eating Nasi Kandar, you decide the combination of curry you want on your rice. For me, all but beef, 50% of the rice.

Every bite was heavily packed with spice and  herbs! The fried chicken was crisps on the outside, soft in the insides, goes perfectly well with the curry. The squid was fresh and a nice addition to the whole dish. While the cabbage... just being cabbage. The addictive part was that every bite leads to another bite, and another, even when I was already soaked in my own sweat. It was that delicious! One downside of Nasi Kandar Beratur was its saltiness which might not be tolerable for some. Aside from that, was bites and bites of awesomeness!

My first Nasi Kandar @ Nasi Kandar Beratur, Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling, Georgetown.
Open sharply at 10pm till early morning. Most customers come to line-up way before opening time. Be prepared to wait 45-60 mins for your plate.

4. Pasembur

I first wonder what the heck was Pasembur. Only to find out later that it was merely my version of Rojak in my hometown Klang. Apparently Rojak in penang was a mixture of fruits and chips in a spicy prawn based sauce. While Pasembur was a mixture of mengkuang, cucumber, fried tofu, prawn chips and eggs in a spicy peanut sauce. It was one of the must try hawker food in Penang. Those crispy treats showered with thick sweet and sour peanut sauce make a good snacks on the streets of penang!


My plate of Pasembur @ Lebuh Cecil street market hawker center.

5. Pork Dumpling (Ba Chang)

One may not find this on their list of 'Must eat food' in Penang. But there was this one small shop in the heart of Gerogetown had locals paying RM6 for one pork dumpling! I see why when I ordered my Ba Chang  which was filled with big chucks of succulent pork, mouth watering pork fat, two salted egg yolk, and chestnuts. I don't even bother about the overpricing when I dig myself into those sinfully delicious Ba chang. The saltiness of the yolk, coupled with the sweetness of the pork, dip with chilli sauce, was a pure pure indulgence! Highly recommended to those that like dumplings and those that enjoy sinful treats that can increase your run time on the treadmill. Aside from its Ba Chang, the shop was famous for its Yam cake which was equally delicious. Must Try!


Your sinful indulgence @ Cintra Food Corner, Lebuh Cintra, George Town.

6. Teow Chew Cendol

Raise your hands if you are one of those people who do not mind the heat, the wait, the hard time finding parking and that irritating sticky feeling on your hand after you gulp down a bowl of Penang Road famous Teow Chew Cendol. (Hand raised high). Top dessert for me in Penang and I'll never missed them if I happened to be around George Town. 

Shaved ice showered with Gula Melaka sweet sauce, then added with coconut milk, kidney beans with strips of strips of green cendol. The cendol of this stall was bouncy or 'very Q' (to say bouncy in chinese) and not easily cut of. Coupled with thicken sweet sauce which had its sweetness just right, plus those smooth coconut milk, and chunky kidney beans, made up a sweet treat that would knock you off your socks! Must try in Penang!


Have your bowl of famous Penang Cendol @ Right side stall of the road beside Joo Hooi Restaurant, Jalan Penang, George Town. There was two stall selling cendol on this road and were stiff competitor. But you'll know which was the best judging from the size of the crowd. 

Penang Food Hunt to be Continue...

By Happy and Fat Food Hunter!
Shian

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cendol is the BOMB!! Never get enough of it!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I grew fatter just reading this post! Nasi Kandar Beratur looks yum though rather pricey eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have grown even fatter eating them..XDXD Nasi Kandar Beratur was delicious! Must go try! Anyway, Nasi Kandar was never cheap...

      Delete